FACEbook

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Fundraising Deadline that Ate Chicago

    As the end of September approached, the Obama campaign sent out multiple fundraising appeals via email and its blog.  (I haven't subscribed to any of the Romney campaign's email lists because frankly the Obama campaign's are much more fun.)  Here is how one of the final appeals began:
September 29, 2012 - Tomorrow is the biggest fundraising deadline of this campaign so far—and one of the last.
    When I read this, bells began ringing (literally!) and I immediately fired up the Google search engine, which I find is a wonderful substitute for actually trying to remember things.  Soon, I was able to pin down why those bells were ringing in my head:
August 27, 2012 - This week isn't just the Republican National Convention -- it's also the biggest fundraising deadline this campaign has seen, and one of the last. 
Jul 30, 2012 - Here's why: Tomorrow is our biggest fundraising deadline yet, and I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't ask everyone who is able to make a donation.

June 29, 2012 - Tomorrow is the biggest fundraising deadline of this election so far.  
May 29, 2012 - Deadline: Midnight. Barack Obama. Tonight's fundraising deadline is a big one
Apr 28, 2012 - Tonight is the first big fundraising deadline of the general election. 
Mar 31, 2012 - Tonight is the biggest fundraising deadline of this campaign so far. 
Dec 30, 2011 - The biggest fundraising deadline this campaign has faced so far is tomorrow night, and grassroots fundraisers have a unique role to play in hitting our goal.
    I'm not one for going out on limbs, but come the end of October, I've got a feeling someone at the Obama campaign will be headed back to the well to cut and paste one more time in what will surely be the biggest fundraising deadline in the history of democracy on this or any other planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment