FACEbook

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

CNN and the Ego Re-run

    On October 3rd, the date of the first Presidential debate, the following story appeared on CNN.com:
Michelle Obama: Anniversary debate double date isn't ideal
Denver (CNN) -- To the political world, October 3 is a high-stakes night in the presidential election. But for first lady Michelle Obama, it's the date night that wasn't.
"I told Barack, 'This, you know, attending a presidential debate on my 20th anniversary is probably the worst way for me to spend (it).' ... I get so nervous at these debates," she said in a recent interview alongside her brother, Craig Robinson.... 
Some observers have suggested that it is the first lady who grounds the president and keeps his ego in check, but [Michelle] Obama was adamant that this president is grounded on his own.
"Barack doesn't have a big ego," she said. "That would kind of be the last thing that I would think of when I talk about my husband is big ego, because he doesn't have that. So it's not much to check." [emphasis added]
    Fast-forward to today, the second Presidential debate, and we find this on CNN.com:
Michelle Obama: "Barack doesn't have a big ego." 
Michelle Obama to CNN's Jessica Yellin, "You know, Barack doesn't have a big ego.  You know, that's the thing.  I mean he is– you know, you– you see this in, you know, how he leads the country.  I mean he is very open to other people's opinions.  And he's always willing to compromise and he is always, always listening.  You know?  So that would– kind of be the last thing that I would think of when I– talk about my husband, is big– big ego, because he– he just doesn't have that.  So it's not much to check." [emphasis added]
    Unless Michelle Obama was using a tele-prompter or script, this must be the same interview.  So, interesting timing on these two releases, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment